THE ESSENTIALS: What basics you will need to make it a home office.
- Desk and chair (writing/bill paying area with pens, pencils, paper, and containers to organize them)
- Storage drawers for everything from office supplies to integrated file cabinets (these can be a part of the desk or separate depending on space)
- Shelving or cabinetry above the counter top surface
- Computer or Laptop
- Printer, Scanner, and Fax machine
- Bulletin board or magnetic board or dry erase board
- Specialty Equipment for a specific profession or hobby
- Proper Lighting! You can’t work well if you can’t see!!!!!!!!
I included this picture because, no matter how small your space is for a home office, you can still have a succesful and productive space with the bare necessities. credit
MAINTENANCE: What you need to do to keep your office productive and efficient.
- · Keep your office clean and clutter free – I truly believe a cluttered room equals a cluttered mind. Keep your mind free of debris in order to be productive and creative.
- · Prioritize the items in your space – keep only what you need in the room and take out any item that don’t belong in this space (hair dryer, dog brush, kids sports equipment…). Keep what you need on a daily basis within reach. Desktop – computer, stapler, tape dispenser, pens/pencils/markers, notepad. The rest can go in drawers. Files get put in file drawers (obviously) and reference books in above shelving or bookshelf. Bulk office supplies go in a closet or freestanding cabinet.
- · Upkeep - when you are done with something, put it back in it’s proper place. This will maintain a clutter free environment for you to work in.
DÉCOR: What style and objects that will make you want to be in this space.
Now that you have all the essentials, here’s where the fun begins – DÉCOR AND STYLE!!!! Remember this is an office in your home, this is NOT a cubby in some florescent lit office downtown, where the rules of the company is to not have family pictures on your desk. This is your HOME, make it warm, make if fun, make it YOU! So whether your style is Modern, Chabby Chic, Old World, Hollywood Glam, Country, it doesn’t matter, this is YOUR OWN PERSONAL AND PRIVATE SPACE!! Make it a place where you want to work and be in! Let’s face it, we spend more time working than we do at leisure.
love this space - credit