Thursday, April 28, 2011

Depression Glass





The weather is finally warming up here AND EVERYTHING IS LOOKING bright and cheerful! I just love the SPRINGTIME!!! I can’t help but think of warmer days to come and reminiscently daydream of my Mother serving my brother and I ice cream in these pretty spring green sherbet dishes. Later on, I come to learn that these cheerfully colored glassware are depression glass!

For those that may not know, depression glass was manufactured in the Midwest and Central United States and is a clear or colored translucent glassware that was usually distributed for free (or at low cost) during the great depression (example: movie theaters would hand out the glassware for entering their venue).


There are over 100 patterns made and come in a variety of colors; most common are clear (crystal), pink, pale blue, green, and amber. Less common are yellow (canary), ultra marine, jadeite (opaque pale green), delphite (opaque pale blue), cobalt blue, red (ruby & royal ruby), black, amethyst, monax, and white (milk glass). To learn more about colors and patterns click HERE to read.


One last thing about depression glass, I LOVE IT!!!!


picture source from ebay


1 comment: